Sunday 23 August 2015

Blaugust 23/31: Can was a worker of the ground

It's day 23 of Blaugust! The home straight is in sight!
 
The game we play on Sunday is the sharing of the on-going epic work that is The Up Goer God Book. We rejoin the story with "The Book of the Beginning of the World, Part 4".
 
1 And "A damn" knew "Even" his wife; and she made a baby, and carried "Can", and said, I have gotten a man from the god.
2 And she again carried his brother "Able". And "Able" was a man who looked after clothes animals, but "Can" was a worker of the ground.
3 And in way of time it came to pass, that the ground worker brought of the food of the ground an offering to the god.
4 And the animal worker, he also brought of the first young of his animal group and of the burning body parts there of. And the god had a liking to the animal worker and to his offering:
5 But to the ground worker and to his offering he had no liking. And the ground worker was very angry, and his face fell.
6 And the god said to the ground worker, Why art you angry? and why is your face fallen?
7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? and if you do not well, bad lies at the door. And to you will be his wants, and you will be in control over him.
8 And the ground worker talked with the animal worker his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that the ground worker rose up against the animal worker his brother, and killed him.
9 And the god said to the ground worker, Where is the animal worker your brother? And he said, I know not: Am I the man who looks after my brother?
10 And he said, What hast you done? the voice of your brother's blood cries to me from the ground.
11 And now art you damned from the world, which hath opened her mouth to take your brother's blood from your hand;
12 When you work the ground, it will not here forward give to your her power; a run away and a man with no home will you be in the world.
13 And the man with no home said to the god, My trouble is greater than I can deal with.


14 Check it out, you hast driven me out this day from the face of the world; and from your face will I be hid; and I will be a run away and a man with no home in the world; and it will come to pass, that every one that finds me will kill me.
15 And the god said to him, For this reason who so ever kills the man with no home , pay back will be taken on him seven times. And the god set a mark upon the man with no home , in case any finding him should kill him.
16 And the man with no home went out from the body space of the god, and lived in the land of "Nod", on the right of "Eat an".
17 And the man with no home knew his wife; and she made a baby, and carried "He knock": and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, "He knock".
18 And to "He knock" was made "Eye red": and "Eye red" had "Me who girl": and "Me who girl" had "Me truth a hell": and "Me truth a hell" had "Lie met".
19 And "Lie met" took to him two wives: the name of the one was "A dear", and the name of the other "See ah".
20 And "A dear" carried "Job ball": he was the father of such as live in clothes card houses, and of such as have food animals.
21 And his brother's name was "Just ball": he was the father of all such as handle the music thing with soft sticks you rub and the music thing that you hit the key and it puts sound in the big empty sticks.
22 And "See ah", she also carried "Two ball can", a person who told other people how to make things out of hard water you burn out of rocks which are either blonde and made by missing red and a little bit of grey rock water, or a more used grey rock water: and the sister of "Two ball can" was "Now mum".
23 And the man with two wives said to his wives, the mother of the music people and the mother of the hard rock water people, Hear my voice; you wives of the man with two wives, listen to my words: for I have killed a man to my cutting, and a young man to my hurt.
24 If the man with no home will be payed back seven times, the man with no home for sure seven tens and seven times.
25 And the man who lost a side stick knew his wife again; and she carried a son, and called his name "Set": For God, said she, hath sorted out another child for me instead of the animal worker, who the man with no home killed.
26 And the third son, to him also there was made a son; and he called his name "He nos": then began men to call upon the name of the god.

This has always been a troubling passage for me, since it seems monumentally unfair for the God god to prefer one type of offering to another given that he hadn't given the poor guys any guidance. That they'd offered anything at all seems pretty good to me, but somehow Can's offering is just poorer than Able's and he gets a pretty raw deal out of the whole thing. As someone who generally gives lesser presents than others because I'm just not good at presents, lot because I have any less love for the person being celebrated, I empathise with Can. Not that I'm going to go kill my brother over it just yet, though, that seems like maybe taking the issue a little far. Besides, he could probably take me.

Anyways, I like what been done just the names here. I hope that you do too, dear reader, as there's lots more where that came from given that Chapter 5 is a genealogy. 

Spoilers: There are Pokemon in the bible now.

1 comment:

Michael5000 said...

I do love a good inspirational Bible image.