Monday 20 April 2020

Image Problems

I don't tend to go near the blog on Sundays, but today I got a message from a friend who was reading my post about making acorn coffee that I posted earlier in the week who was asking what was wrong with the images on that post.

Sure enough, when I headed to the site myself, some (but not all) of the images on that post and a number of the other posts from the past few weeks had disappeared from the Leaflocker and been replaced with the dreaded missing image icon. I figured that it was just an internet issue or some kind of temporary problem with Blogspot, but as the hours passed and they pictures didn't come back, I figured that I'd better try and fix them.

Strangely enough, all of the images that are missing are Blogspot hosted images that are still visible when I look a the blog's image album, which at least means that they were all pretty easy to restore, but makes it even odder that they've all disappeared from the blog. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which images have been affected, either.

When things like this happen, it makes me think again about possibly looking into some more permanent or premium hosting for the Leaflocker than the ever-precarious-seeming Blogspot, as I'd miss it if it suddenly disappeared or a I lost some of the things that I've posted here over the last ten years, even if no-one else would. The idea that the blog has outlasted about 5 computers and numerous harddrives makes me think I really ought to put some thought into preserving it better than I have the rest of the places that I've kept my precious memories, which is so say, not at all.

Then I remember that this is only maybe the second time that I've actually lost content on blogger over the last ten years, and that for a service that I don't have to pay for it really is remarkably stable, and I figure I can risk hosting it here for a little bit longer. Blogspot's frustrating interface and limitations might annoy me every time I actually try to attempt consistent formatting or to do anything more than just shove some words and pictures down higgeldy-piggeldy, but it's been a good home to me for a long time now, and as long as this sort of thing doesn't become a regular occurrence, I'm not going to be rushing out to change it just yet.

Guess I'm spending the last little while going through the last little bit of the archive trying to restore what images I can, though. If you notice a file missing somewhere around here, do let me know.

This was my sixteenth post for Blapril 2020, the latest incarnation of the annual Blaugust blogging festival that the Leaflocker has been a proud member of the last few years. Do check out some of the posts that others have been creating over the month. One of the things I enjoy about Blaugust is vicariously experiencing people's adventures in games I'm never likely to pick up myself, and my favourite post for today was this one by Kluwes over on I'm not Squishy, which managed to make a game that I have always been utterly uninterested in sound like the kind of thing that I just might want to try out, with the right group.

No comments: