Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Wednesday Quiz (iii.i) Lords a'Leaping

With the decline and fall of that once-great institution and spiritual blogmother of this here publication, Michael5000's Wednesday Quiz, it is once again up to the antipodes to provide your weekly dose of Quiztime goodness. Thus the editors are proud to announce a new season of quizzes here at the Leaflocker, on a range of topics determined by fancy and if all else fails, trawling of wikipedia. The rules shall be as follows:

-There shall be 15 approximately weekly quizzes of 10 questions of equal weight, normally in the form of pictures stolen from the internet.

-Entry is open to all and sundry, provided that they are willing and able to submit their answers to the comments before the next quiz is posted.

-Entrants should solemnly vow to consult no other persons, nor to seek to obtain the answer or information leading to the answer from any source other than their own brain prior to entering their answers.

-Each entrant shall have up to one free point on one question each week provided that they admit their total ignorance of a subject moderately relevant to the question. (If the question is to name a pictured country in a map of Africa, the answer "Pass. I know nothing about African geography" would be acceptable, while "Free pass for me, I'm a squirrel" would not). Acknowledgement of ignorance will be taken as a declaration of intention to educate oneself on the aforementioned subject.

-The entrant with the highest total score taken from the aggregate of their best ten results for the season shall be declared the winner. This title may not be worth very much.

-Tie-breaks shall be determined by the aggregate of the best best eleven results, or if still tied, twelve results, et cetera.

-The editorship reserves the right to award bonus points for particularly clever or amusing answers, be they right or wrong, up to a total of ten points.

-Disputes on the rules will be entered into with any interested party, but any decision of the editorial team made ex cathedra shall be considered infallable.

With the ground rules set, let's get this show on the road. This week you, the entrant, must attempt to name each of these persons prominent in the field of leaping.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Post your answers below in accordance with your sense of honair.

5 comments:

Alethea said...

1. Superman. Christopher Reeve? I dunno who else played Superman.

2. Skippy. I dunno the kid.

3. Neil Armstrong. My brain keeps telling me Buzz Aldrin but I'm sure that's just all the Toy Story.

4. Uh, Indiana Jones? He has a fedora and a bristly look. I suppose Jones was quite a jumper.

5. Chairman Mao, though I'm not sure how he fits with the theme. Is it due to all the pantomime involved in the game of pot?

6. Someone cricket. Looks a little less (more?) than trim. Warnie...?

7. An Enid Blython character?

8. ? Some... guy that... does stunt motorcycling...?

9 I'd claim to know nothing about comics but that's untrue.

10. Another sport question! Bleh!

Joanna said...

1. Christopher Reeve as Superman
2. Skippy
3. Neil Armstrong
4. Harrison for as Han Solo, I mean Rick Deckard, I mean Junior (Indiana) Jones
5. Mao Zedong
6. Stuart mcGill (it doesn't really look like him, but he's my best guess)
7. Priscilla rabbit
8. Biggles
9. Jumping-spiderman
10. Some high jumper? Springy McJumpingsworth.

Michael5000 said...

THE WEDNESDAY QUIZ! On TUESDAY!

1. That would be Superman.

2. That would be a kangaroo. I think. I have never actually seen one.

3. One of the astronauts from the days that humans from earth were capable of modest extraplanetary adventure. Possibly Neil Armstrong, although it could be any one of several Apollo dudes.

4. Colin Hay.

5. Mao Tse-Tung, getting ready for perhaps the greatest fiasco of all time: Great Leap Forward!

6. I am well read and have an internationalist outlook, and thus I can tell a cricketeer when I see one.

7. That is a cartoon bunny. Peter Rabbit, perhaps?

8. Leathers McChiseledjaw.

9. Eh, one of the new and somewhat more literate cartoon superheros that the kids these days are into, perhaps an "X-man" of some sort.

10. Well, this guy is a high jumper. I shall speculate that it is, hmm, is it Fosbury? Pioneering the Fosbury Flop?


**I have finished the quiz, and I notice that the previous quiz-takers answers extend into this window, and their answer "Springy McJumpingsworth" is clearly in my visual field. I had not consciously seen it or read it -- but, did it subconsciously cue my use of the same formula with "Leathers McChiseledjaw"? I bet it did.

UnwiseOwl said...

Thanks for playing, guys, here's how you did.

1. No trouble for anyone in recognising the Man of Steel himself, Superman, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Ale:1, Joee:1, M5000:1

2. Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, who leapt out of our screens and into our hearts, apparently. Personally I always thought skippy was pretty boring. 2,2,1

3. Neil Armstrong, after making his giant leap for mankind. 3,3,2

4. Indiana Jones (it was hard to get a good picture of the "Leap of Faith" from the Last Cruscade) 4,4,2 (Colin Hay? Really?)

5. This is Mao, launching the "Great Leap Forward", good thinking there by Michael. 5,5,3

6. That is Australian cricketer David Warner, boy can he jump. 5,5,3

7. Benjamin Bunny, troublemaking friend of Peter Rabbit. Turns out Beatrix Potter is not as well known as I might have thought. 5,5,3

8. That is Sam Beckett, lead character in "Quantum Leap" that used be to be on TV when I should have been in bed. He is a hottie, in my considered opinion. 5,5,3

9. Batroc the Leaper, prominent Frenchman and Captain America villain for almsot 50 years. 5,5,3

10. And yes, this is Dick Fosbury, inventor and chief proponent of the now almost exclusively used Fosbury Flop method of high-jump. 5,5,4

Which means Ale and Joee lead the quiz season with Michael snapping at their heels, but there's still plenty of room for improvement with a slightly easier quiz next week. See you then.

Michael5000 said...

Yes! And if I give myself credit for number 2 and number 6, I WIN!