Monday 14 October 2019

Snow

This particular prompt is from a couple of days ago, but the image popped into my head and I just had to do it. Maybe I've just been thinking about saints a bunch since Cardinal Newman was canonised this weekend, but with the prompt snow I couldn't help but draw the connection between snow angels and snow saints.

I'm not going to get into the theology of either angels or saints, not only because I am utterly unequipped, but also because both can get pretty nutty pretty quickly. If you're in to that sort of thing, allow me to point you in the direction of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica. Suffice it to say that in iconography and in the history of Christian art, most saints, and angels, and those confusing angels that are also saints, are usually depicted with the halo, so it's pretty easy to get them mixed up, at least if the flying and the wings and that sort of thing aren't obvious hints.


Today's drawing depicts John Paul II and John XXIII, who were canonised together back in 2013 playing in the snow making snow saints while poor old Paul VI looks on jealously. Paul would get his fancy hat five years later, once his second attested miracle was confirmed, so perhaps I should have made the figure looking on be John Paul I, whose cause is currently stalled as merely being venerable, after it was determined that his attested miracles don't count, but he just doesn't seem like the jealous type.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laughed to find you drawing popes again. Yay for silliness.